Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Adventures in Couponing

Over the last few weeks, I have begun couponing. Dan and I would like to have a good down payment for a house in time to move next summer (or sooner). It all started with a simple Arby's coupon. Jennifer showed me a website (http://www.moneysavingmom.com/) that had a coupon for buy a drink get a sandwich free and since Arby's sounded yummy, I printed the coupon off and had a good lunch. Later, I started looking around the website and realized there was SOOOOOOOO much more to it. I started printing off a few coupons that I knew I would use and started to pay attention to some of the deals I could get with them. Well... after a few small shopping trips with the coupons, I decided to jump in head first and really get into it. Now, I follow several blog sites that keep up on the coupons and match them up with sales and such (less work for me). I check the EVERY day sometimes multiple times a day. I have become a little obsessed, but it's ok. I have been really excited about shopping lately, and I wanted to share some of my deals with you.

1st trip to use coupons:
Walgreens. BIC highlighters were on sale for .49. I printed off some coupons for $1 off any 2 BIC products. Got 6 pks of highlighters FREE. Also got 3 rolls of Scotch tape. I paid .41 total for all of it.
Starbucks ice cream= FREE
4 Blue Bunny Ice Cream Sandwiches (singles) = FREE


Cinnabon Bars = .98
Coffee Mate Hazlenut creamer= $1.58
2 pkgs Ziploc bags= $1.25 each
Pita Pockets= .90
2 pkgs Wacky Mac = .69 ea
2 pkgs Tucks Take-a-long wipes= .64 ea pkg
BIC Sensitive disposable razors 12pk = .57
2 Skintimate Shaving gel= .73ea
Venus Embrace Razor w/2 blades= $4.94
Satin Care Shaving Cream=FREE
6 Breyers Yo Crunch Yogurt = .08 each
6 Bar S Hot Dogs = .38 ea (got 6pkgs only 2 pictured) 5 Chef Boyardee Ravioli etc.= FREE
Single Load Tide laundry detergent=FREE
4 Aquafresh Extreme Clean Toothpaste=FREE
2 pkgs Dentek Flossers=FREE
4 Nexcare bandages 8pk=FREE
5 pkgs Kotex liners=FREE
Carefree liners= FREE
3 pkgs Kleenex= $1.24ea
Watercolor paints= .50
10 pks Roseart 24ct crayons= .20ea
10 Elmers Glue= .25ea

All of the crayons, glue, and kleenex were for VBS. They were filling backpacks for the local school children. The paints were for Aaron.
10 First Aid to go kits = FREEBlink Tears Eye drops = .11
2 pkgs BIC Triumph pens 2pk=FREE
2 pkgs Pilot EasyTouch Pens=FREE
2 Renu contact solution =FREE
2 Stretchable book covers=FREE
2 pkgs pens 20pk=FREE
Clean & Clear Facewash=FREE
Mechanical Pencils 30pk=FREE
2 Folders=FREE
Eclipse Gum = .43
6 pkgs Pull-ups Flushable wipes = .14 ea
3 pkgs Chiquita Apple Bites= FREE
2 pkgs Nestle Pure Life Water 6pks= FREE
My last shopping trip:

4 Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner= .69 ea
3 Lysol Wipes= $1.29 ea
3 pkgs Wacky Mac= (2) .77 ea (1) FREE
Swiffer Sweeper= $7.00
2 Graduates Crunchies = $1.73 ea
2 BeachNut Yugurt Bites = $1.29 ea
8 pkgs Jell-o= .25 ea
4 pkgs Velveeta Shells & Cheese= .75 ea
4 boxes Betty Crocker Browny Mix= .63 ea
Arm & Hammer Laundry Detergent= $3.97
2 pkgs Ziploc bags = $1.25 ea
Whole Grain Cheeze-Its = $2.23
10 First Aid to go kits = FREE
20 pkgs Kotex liners = FREE
7 pkgs Dentex Flossers= FREE

Items I didn't have coupons for: OUCH!
Folgers Coffee= $3.42
Great Value Creamer= $3.86


You may be wondering what in the world I am going to do with all of the extra stuff, but I'm not. I have a plan! Our church has several ministries we are involved in that I am very excited to help out with.

The first is Operation Christmas Child. This fall we will be packing boxes for Christmas to send overseas to needy children. There are several things that I plan to give for that (Toothpaste, Toothbrushes, Soap, and hopefully some other items).

The second ministry is the Lincoln Christian College food pantry. They need a LOT of items not just food. I plan on sending extra food/ paper products/ laundry detergent/ etc over to help out the students.

The third ministry is our Valentine's care packages that we send to military and college students ar the beginning of the year. I plan to give extra deodorant, snacks, razors, shaving cream, school supplies and MUCH more to send in these boxes.

Thank You to everyone who has helped out so far by giving me the coupons from their Sunday papers and other coupons. They are a blessing not only to our family, but hopefully will be to MANY others as well.

As an added ministry opportunity, I plan to send all of the expired coupons to military families. (LINK) They can use them for several months after the expiration date, so they will go even further! All of the extra paper from the clipped coupons and ads will be taken to a recycling drop off.

Anyone who wants to help with these wonderful ministry opportunities is welcome to! Please send your coupons to me or money to help purchase some of the items (not everything is free and I still have to pay tax) :

Chrys Stribling
104 NE Third St
Atlanta, IL 61723

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR HELPING!!!

No comments: